Thus, Opium laws were created so that law enforcers could harass them and contain them. After the civil rights movement somehow we thought things were going to get easier for black people but for most it got worse. Yes, it appears that we have a black President even though he is half white. And surely we have black actors and actresses but for most black families not too much easiness in their lives.
Their family often is left abandoned and it is shattering to the lives of their children. Very often they are not just drug dealers they are drug users so they are hurting themselves. They are trying to self medicate with their drug habit because they are in pain either because they are poor or because of some other reason.
So, society rewards them, says I understand your pain. Society says they are going to jail for much of their lives and make the rest of your life a slippery slope that you cant get out of and then lets see how you can pull yourself up by your bootstraps. Try ever to show some personal responsibility. Now you have a conviction that will follow you for the rest of your life.
At that time the family has moved on without you, no one will give you a job so you are a liability to your family even if you are lucky enough to have someone to go home to that might still love you. You are simply one more person to feed. Some feel that it is much easier to find a way to go back to jail than to fight society. In jail you don’t have any responsibility, don’t have to pay for food or lodging and that is where all your friends are.
It is a system of mass incarceration. It is the livelihood of many Americans and many politicians. The prison guards are not to be blamed either. They are caught up in a system that they did not create. There is a worry that if the prisons were to be emptied that prison guards would be out of work. Well, yes they would be but so what, go get another job.
The system has ruined the relationship between police and community. In New York City there are 700,000 stops per year of young people on the street usually 90% of Black or Latino looking desent. Of those, about half are stop and frisk; 350,000 per year. Only 10% lead to an arrest. The other 90% have been denigrated in person; have been subjected to embarrassment in front of their community and now have been made to feel horrible about authority.